Applying for grants is now easier than ever through our new Online Grants Portal. *Please note: Previous, older versions of CFNEM grant applications will no longer be accepted.
Apply for Grants
NE MI Youth Advisory Council Grant Application Guidelines
Grant deadlines: January 15 and October 15
The Northeast Michigan Youth Advisory Council (NEMYAC) is a group of about 50 students, and seven YAC advisors, from the counties of Alcona, Alpena, Montmorency, and Presque Isle. NEMYAC members learn about philanthropy and how to improve their communities through the grant-making process. Permanently endowed funds from the W.K. Kellogg Foundation allow the students to award approximately $50,000 each year to local non-profit organizations for youth-related programs and projects.
About your organization
- Your organization must provide benefits to youth within the counties of Alcona, Alpena, Montmorency or Presque Isle.
- Your organization must be recognized as a non-profit charitable organization under section 501(c)(3) of the Internal Revenue Service code. (Schools and government agencies are also eligible. Grants to religious organizations will be considered only if they serve the general public and do not have religious overtones of a sectarian nature.)
- All applications for public and parochial school youth-related projects must be submitted to the Youth Advisory Council.
- No grants are made to individuals.
- You will be asked to provide your organization's EIN.
- A representative from your organization will be required to make a brief presentation to the YAC members. You will be notified of the date and location after your proposal has been submitted. Applications requesting $500 or less do not require a presentation.
About your project
- Grants are made for future projects only. No funding will be given for projects completed before final board approval. Board approval is usually within six (6) weeks of the grant deadline.
- Grants are not made for routine operating needs or budget deficits.
- Proposals seeking "seed money" for projects that are new, dynamic, and that show funding support from additional organizations are given stronger consideration.
- NEMYAC discourages repeated applications for sustained funding of programs.
- Applicants may submit requests up to a maximum of $2,500 per application cycle.
- For accounting purposes, all allocated funds are disbursed upon receipt of documentation of the expenditures.
- YAC grant applications are reviewed two times each year.
- Applications must be submitted by January 15 or October 15.
- Grants are normally paid within one year of approval. If necessary, a written request may be submitted for a six (6) month extension.
- All allocation recommendations are made by a consensus of the YAC members attending the review meeting. No staff members vote on decisions regarding fund allocations.
- All recommendations for allocations must be approved by vote of the Board of Trustees at their quarterly meeting following the application deadline.
- Half of the available funding will be allocated to programs or projects that address area youth needs as determined by the needs assessment survey. An assessment is completed every three years.
Top issues: depressions/mental health; stress issues; school work/homework; bullying/cyber bullying; and body image and appearance issues.
2022 Northeast Michigan Youth Needs Assessment
What is a YAC?
Apply for grants