OCTOBER 15 &
NE MI Youth Advisory Council Grant Application Guidelines
The Northeast Michigan Youth Advisory Council (NEMYAC) is a group of about 50 students, and seven YAC advisors, from the counties of Alcona, Alpena, Montmorency, and Presque Isle. NEMYAC members learn about philanthropy and how to improve their communities through the grant-making process. Permanently endowed funds from the W.K. Kellogg Foundation allow the students to award approximately $50,000 each year to local non-profit organizations for youth-related programs and projects.
About your organization
- Your organization must provide benefits to youth within the counties of Alcona, Alpena, Montmorency or Presque Isle.
- Your organization must be recognized as a non-profit charitable organization under section 501(c)(3) of the Internal Revenue Service code. (Schools and government agencies are also eligible. Grants to religious organizations will be considered only if they serve the general public and do not have religious overtones of a sectarian nature.)
- All applications for public and parochial school youth-related projects must be submitted to the Youth Advisory Council.
- No grants are made to individuals.
- You will be asked to provide your organization's EIN.
- A representative from your organization will be required to make a brief presentation to the YAC members. You will be notified of the date and location after your proposal has been submitted. Applications requesting $500 or less do not require a presentation.
About your project
- Grants are made for future projects only. No funding will be given for projects completed before final board approval. Board approval is usually within six (6) weeks of the grant deadline.
- Grants are not made for routine operating needs or budget deficits.
- Proposals seeking "seed money" for projects that are new, dynamic, and that show funding support from additional organizations are given stronger consideration.
- NEMYAC discourages repeated applications for sustained funding of programs.
- Applicants may submit requests up to a maximum of $2,500 per application cycle.
- If your organization is awarded a grant, a check for the full amount of the grant will be sent within two weeks of the date of grant approval, provided your organization's executive director has signed and submitted the grant agreement (emailed at the time of grant award notification). Final grant reporting is required.*Please note, this applies only to grants awarded December 13, 2022 or later. For grants prior to this date, visit our How to Get Your Grant Paid section.
- YAC grant applications are reviewed two times each year.
- Applications must be submitted by January 15 or October 15.
- For grants awarded December 13, 2022 or later, grants are normally paid in full within two weeks of grant approval.
- All allocation recommendations are made by a consensus of the YAC members attending the review meeting. No staff members vote on decisions regarding fund allocations.
- All recommendations for allocations must be approved by vote of the Board of Trustees at their quarterly meeting following the application deadline.
- Half of the available funding will be allocated to programs or projects that address area youth needs as determined by the needs assessment survey. An assessment is completed every three years.
Top issues: depressions/mental health; stress issues; school work/homework; bullying/cyber bullying; and body image and appearance issues.
2022 Northeast Michigan Youth Needs Assessment
- You may use our budget example to assist you in completing the budget section of your application. (Budget Sample PDF) 60kb
- Download blank Excel budget