CFNEM Scholarships for Northeast Michigan
If you want to apply for Community Foundation scholarships, you are at the right place! Please read the following information carefully before accessing the "AwardSpring" Scholarship Application. IMPORTANT NOTE: Some CFNEM Scholarship Funds do not use the "AwardSpring" application process. The donors of these funds have established other application procedures, which you can find in the Alternative Application Procedures section below.
For scholarships in Cheboygan, Crawford, Iosco, Ogemaw or Oscoda Counties, or Mackinaw City, please visit our Affiliate Scholarships Application Page. Look for the green piggy bank!
Each scholarship application submitted will be carefully reviewed to make sure students are considered for all scholarships for which they are eligible. There are over 70 different scholarship funds for students and adults who live in or have gone to school in Alcona, Alpena, Montmorency and Presque Isle Counties, thanks to many generous local donors who care about your future!
Now is a great time to gather some important information that you may need to complete the online application process, depending on the particular scholarship(s) for which you are eligible. Several of the scholarships funds have varying application requirements, so you may not be required to submit all items listed below. Most of these items also are required for applications to college so you may have them compiled already.
- A copy of your high school and college transcript(s), if applicable. (Unofficial transcripts are acceptable as long as they are clearly labeled with your name, current academic year, cumulative GPA, and name of school attended.)
- GED certificate or high school diploma if applicable
- One current letter of recommendation from someone other than family, who will address your skills, strengths and other relevant information.
- Academic awards and recognition
- Athletic awards and recognition
- Extra-curricular school activities and related awards and recognition
- Community involvement/volunteer experience
- Work experience
- Family/home responsibilities
- Other information may be needed depending on specific criteria for a particular scholarship fund.
- The CFNEM online scholarship website is not intended for children under the age of 13. These applicants must fill out a hard copy form available from our office, and must be accompanied by a parent or legal guardian to apply.
- You may be asked to declare your school of choice by April 1st or risk losing an award.
- Your application may be disqualified if provided information is found to be inaccurate.
- Applicants with existing CFNEM multi-year awards (i.e., Dee Brown Perry, Park U of M, Jesse Besser, etc.) may receive new awards only if there are no other qualified applicants being considered by the committee for that award.
Scholarship Funds Using an Alternative Application Process
Please read each fund description for eligibility criteria and application instructions.
Alcona FFA Alumni Scholarship
Student is a graduating senior of Alcona High School and is a member of FFA. Application information can be found on the Alcona High School website.
Rhonda Blohm Memorial Scholarship
Student is a graduating senior of Alcona High School with a GPA of 2.80 or higher. For study at any school. Application information can be found on the Alcona High School website.
Exchange Club Stanley C. Beck Scholarship
Student is a graduating senior of Alpena High School. For study at any school. Contact Career Resource Center at Alpena High School.
Exchange Club of Alpena Roger P. Brilinski Memorial Veterans Scholarship
Student is a resident of northeast Michigan and a veteran or child of a veteran. Student must possess a high school diploma or GED. Preference will be given to a student who chooses a two-year technical program. For study at Alpena Community College. Student must complete an Alpena Community College (ACC) Scholarship Application.
Jule and Thelma Hartwick Scholarship
Student is registered at Alpena Community College (ACC) and studying in the areas of library science or mathematics. (If neither disciplines are filled, then the field of science is broadly applied. An additional year of support is possible if academic progress is exhibited.) Students must complete an ACC Scholarship Application. For study at ACC.
Frederick T. & Betty D. Johnston Scholarships
There are two separate awards.
- Student is a graduating senior of Alpena High School and is in the top 10% of their class. Student shows service/commitment to the community and submits an essay on what "community" means to him or her.
- Student is a graduating senior of Alpena High School with a GPA of 3.0 or greater and shows service/commitment to the community. For study at any school. Application forms are available in the Career Center at Alpena High School. Students will be notified at the AHS Senior Awards Night.
Kimberly Park Female Scholar/Athlete Award
Student is a female graduating from Alpena High School who has demonstrated athletic and academic achievement. For study at any school. Student will be notified at the AHS Senior Awards Night. There is no application form for this award.
Scott Park Eagle Scout Award
Student is a graduating senior at Alpena High School who has achieved eagle scout status. For study at any school. Student will be notified at the AHS Senior Awards Night. There is no application form for this award.
Joseph P. Pinson Scholarship
Student is registered at Alpena Community College (ACC) and is a resident of northeastern Michigan. Student must complete an ACC scholarship application. For study at ACC.
Technical assistance is available through AwardSpring, the company that developed and hosts the scholarship application process. Technical issues include error messages, inability to access the site or other issues that prevent you from being able to move forward during the application process.