CHEBOYGAN—The Straits Area Community Foundation Youth Advisory Council (YAC) recently awarded $3,854 through the spring grant cycle for youth programs in Cheboygan County and Mackinaw City.
New Youth Advisory Council grants are:
- $1,000 to Cheboygan Youth Center for its “Resilience” program, which aims to help local children recover from disruptions caused by the pandemic through education and wellness support;
- $1,000 to Harbor Springs Festival of the Book for its “Books for Schools” project which will provide books for students at Inland Lakes and Wolverine Schools to be used in conjunction with author/illustrator visits to classrooms as part of the September 2022 Festival of the Book;
- $800 to Mackinaw City Area Arts Council to support their Children’s Summer Art Workshops, allowing youth to attend the arts and crafts activities at no cost;
- $527 to Cheboygan Area Schools to purchase basic needs items for the high school’s “Chiefs Closet”; and
- $527 to Wolverine Community Schools to purchase basic needs items for their student pantry, “The Closet”.
The Straits Area YAC is a group of young people ages 12 to 21 from Cheboygan County and Mackinaw City. Working with adult advisors, these youth work to improve the lives of other children in their communities through the allocation of grant money. With initial funding support by the W.K. Kellogg Foundation, YAC encourages young people to learn how philanthropy can help meet the specific needs of their community.
The next opportunity for submitting grant applications is through the Straits Area Community Foundation’s Health Care Grant application. The deadline to apply is June 1, and applications are available at sacf.net. These grants are for projects and programs providing health care services and activities for residents of Cheboygan County and/or Mackinaw City. This can include general health care, mental health services, counseling, wellness programs, access to care, and other health care-related projects and programs. Any nonprofit medical facility or other nonprofit organization providing general health care services for the residents of Cheboygan County and Mackinaw City are eligible to apply for up to $2,000 in funding. (No grants are made to individuals.)
The Straits Area Community Foundation serves Cheboygan County and Mackinaw City. SACF is an affiliate of the Community Foundation for Northeast Michigan (CFNEM), which holds combined assets of over $60 million. CFNEM serves as the legal entity and administrative arm for its affiliate foundations. SACF is led by a volunteer board of local citizens committed to providing people who care about the future of the region and its communities with unique and effective ways of supporting their community now, and for generations to come. The foundation oversees a group of permanently endowed funds from a wide range of donors. Gifts of all sizes from individuals, families, businesses and agencies are invested in a balanced, well-managed portfolio to build endowments, enabling support for local community nonprofits now and forever.