CHEBOYGAN—The Straits Area Community Foundation (SACF) recently awarded a new round of community grants covering Cheboygan County and Mackinaw City. The Board of Trustees approved 16 new grants totaling $8,938. Of that amount, $6,000 was awarded in Community Impact Grants and $2,938 was awarded in grants from the Straits Area Youth Advisory Council (SAYAC). Grants were approved on February 2, 2022.
New Community Impact Grants include:
- $1,000 to Cheboygan Area Arts Council for Missoula Children’s Theatre Residency at the Cheboygan Opera House;
- $1,000 to Cheboygan County Habitat for Humanity for the “A Hand Up” Critical Home Repair project;
- $1,000 to Cheboygan County Habitat for Humanity for Cheboygan County Project Connect;
- $1,000 to District Health Dept. #4 for a breastfeeding incentive class;
- $1,000 to Straits Area Services for the “Fostering Artistic Expression” project; and
- $1,000 to Women’s Resource Center of Northern Michigan for their Education and Employment Services program for women in the Straits Area.
Community Impact Grants are awarded once a year, with applicants applying for specific needs within their organization. Funding for grants during this cycle comes from SACF’s Community Needs Fund, Cheboygan Health and Education Fund, and the Straits Area Tobacco Settlement Fund.
Also approved on February 2nd were the following grants recommended by the Straits Area Youth Advisory Council, which is made up of young people from across the SACF service area, and provides funding for programs and projects benefitting youth in Cheboygan County and Mackinaw City:
- $400 to Cheboygan Area Arts Council for their “2022 Access to the Arts” program;
- $500 to Cheboygan County Habitat for Humanity for their 2022 Family Services Day;
- $1,000 to Wolverine Congregational Church for a new youth ice rink;
- $738 to Mackinaw City Area Schools to purchase volleyball jerseys for the “Pink Out” Breast Cancer Fundraising Yearly Game; and
- $300 to Mackinaw City Area Schools for the hygiene closet.
The next opportunity for submitting grant applications through the Straits Area Community Foundation is through the Straits Area Youth Advisory Council’s second grant cycle of the year. The application deadline is March 15, 2022. Applications are available at sacf.net.
The Straits Area Community Foundation serves Cheboygan County and Mackinaw City. SACF is an affiliate of the Community Foundation for Northeast Michigan (CFNEM), accredited by National Standards for U.S Community Foundations®. CFNEM serves as the administrative arm for its affiliate foundations. SACF is led by a volunteer board of local citizens committed to providing people who care about the future of the region and its communities with unique and effective ways of supporting their community now, and for generations to come. The foundation oversees a group of permanently endowed funds from a wide range of donors. Gifts of all sizes from individuals, families, businesses, and agencies are invested in a balanced, well-managed portfolio to build endowments, enabling support for local community nonprofits now and forever. To donate or learn more about how community foundations work, visit sacf.net or call 989-354-6881; toll-free: 877-354-6881.