Alpena, Mich. - The fourth round of grants from the Community Foundation for Northeast Michigan’s (CFNEM) new Urgent Needs Fund put another $25,000 directly into the hands of local nonprofits to help area residents with basic needs, bringing the total awarded so far to $100,000.
Fourth round grants include:
- $5,000 to New Beginnings Hillman Area Resource Pantry to help with food costs;
- $5,000 to Presque Isle Food and Baby Pantry to help with food, personal items and baby necessities;
- $3,600 to Impact Ministries for a Hale area food pantry;
- $2,000 to Cheboygan County Habitat for Humanity for critical and/or emergency home repairs;
- $2,000 to Boys and Girls Club of Alpena for PPE, cleaning and hygiene items need to reopen the club;
- $1,500 to West Branch Caring Pregnancy Center for diapers, wipes and baby supply giveaways;
- $1,970 to Northern Family Intervention Services, Inc. for PPE and cleaning for home visits;
- $1,980 to Northeast Michigan Community Service Agency to assist with cost of PPE and sanitization for necessary home visits;
- $1,200 to Crawford AuSable School District for food, hygiene, cleaning items and clothing for students; and
- $750 to Ogemaw County Christian Fellowship for their food pantry.
Urgent Needs Fund grant applications remain open for nonprofits in northeast Michigan. Grants are currently being used for support of basic human needs for residents affected by the economic fallout and consequences of the COVID-19 pandemic.
At the time of this news release, a total of just over $155,000 has been received in donations to the Urgent Needs Fund, with a total of $100,000 now granted.
CFNEM Executive Director Patrick Heraghty says the needs will continue to grow. Additional donations would help the Foundation put more money directly into the hands of nonprofits who are on the human services frontline of this pandemic, and allow CFNEM to continue awarding funds as needed, and as the situation evolves.
Those wanting to donate or apply for funding should visit cfnem.org.
The Urgent Needs Fund was established by CFNEM in response to the COVID-19 pandemic and its economic consequences for residents of northeast Michigan. The fund covers the entire CFNEM service area of Alcona, Alpena, Montmorency and Presque Isle Counties; as well as the communities in its three affiliate foundations: Iosco County Community Foundation, North Central Michigan Community Foundation (Crawford, Ogemaw and Oscoda Counties), and Straits Area Community Foundation (Cheboygan County and Mackinaw City).
In addition to the Urgent Needs Fund grants, CFNEM and its affiliate foundations also have upcoming grant opportunities throughout the nine-county region to which nonprofits, schools, churches and government agencies can apply for funding for any of its needs:
Alpena, Alcona, Montmorency and Presque Isle Counties:
- July 1 – Deadline for Northeast Michigan Women’s Giving Circle Grant
- July 15 – Deadline for CFNEM Community Impact Grant
Crawford, Ogemaw and Oscoda Counties
- June 30 – Deadline for North Central Michigan Community Foundation Community Impact Grant