CHEBOYGAN—The Straits Area Community Foundation (SACF) recently awarded a new round of community grants covering Cheboygan County and Mackinaw City. The Board of Trustees approved 13 new grants totaling $8,677. Of that amount, $5,977 was awarded in Community Impact Grants and $2,700 was awarded in grants from the Straits Area Youth Advisory Council (SAYAC). Grants were approved on February 5, 2020.
New Community Impact Grants are:
- Cheboygan County Habitat for Humanity - $1,941 for two grants: Project Connect 2020 and for technology updates;
- Church of the Straits - $1,000 for the Church of the Straits food pantry;
- Straits Area Services - $1,000 for the Comprehensive Opportunity Program;
- Title VI - $891 for a Title VI student educational trip to visit Ziibiwing Center in Mt. Pleasant;
- Northern Care Center - $768 for assisting people with little or no insurance with medical expenses;
- City of Cheboygan - $377 to purchase rentable snowshoes for the Recreation Center.
Community Impact Grants are awarded once a year. Funding for grants during this cycle comes from SACF’s Community Needs Fund and the Straits Area Tobacco Settlement Fund.
Also approved on February 6 were the following grants recommended by the Straits Area Youth Advisory Council, which is made up of young people from across the SACF service area, and provides funding for programs and projects benefitting youth in Cheboygan County and Mackinaw City:
- Mackinaw City Schools - $500 for a water fountain and bottle filling station;
- Cheboygan Area Schools - $400 for the Cheboygan Bowling Team;
- Cheboygan Area Public Library - $200 for the “Explore Cheboygan Backpack” Program;
- Muscular Dystrophy Association - $700 for the 2020 MDA Summer Camp;
- Title VI - $700 for a Title VI student educational trip to visit Ziibiwing Center in Mt. Pleasant;
- City of Cheboygan - $200 to purchase rentable snowshoes for the Recreation Center.
The next opportunity for submitting grant applications through the Straits Area Community Foundation is through the Straits Area Youth Advisory Council’s second grant cycle of the year. The application deadline is March 15, 2020. Applications are available at sacf.net.
The Straits Area Community Foundation serves Cheboygan County and Mackinaw City. SACF is an affiliate of the Community Foundation for Northeast Michigan (CFNEM). CFNEM serves as the administrative arm for its affiliate foundations. SACF is led by a volunteer board of local citizens committed to providing people who care about the future of the region and its communities with unique and effective ways of supporting their community now, and for generations to come. The foundation oversees a group of permanently endowed funds from a wide range of donors. Gifts of all sizes from individuals, families, businesses and agencies are invested in a balanced, well-managed portfolio to build endowments, enabling support for local community nonprofits now and forever. To make a donation or learn more about how community foundations work, visit sacf.net or call 989-354-6881; toll-free: 877-354-6881.