CHEBOYGAN—The Straits Area Community Foundation (SACF) recently awarded a new round of community grants covering Cheboygan County and Mackinaw City. The Board of Trustees approved 17 new grants totaling $10,216. Of that amount, $7,485 was awarded in Community Impact Grants and $2,730 was awarded in grants from the Straits Area Youth Advisory Council (SAYAC). Grants were approved on February 1, 2017.
New Community Impact Grants are:
- Straits Area Services – awarded $1,300 for the Straits Area Studio and Comprehensive Opportunity Program Assistance projects.
- Northern Michigan Jail Ministry, Inc. – awarded $1,000 for “A Hand Up”.
- Cheboygan County United Way – awarded $1,000 for Cheboygan County Project Connect.
- Indian River United Methodist Church – awarded $1,000 for the GLOW Community Center.
- Icebreaker Mackinaw Maritime Museum – awarded $1,000 to purchase waterfront exhibit space.
- Cheboygan County Junior Golf Academy – awarded $1,000 for the junior golf program.
- Mackinaw Area Historical Society – awarded $885 for the Captain’s Quarters Uniform Exhibit.
- Wolverine Community Library – awarded a $300 mini-grant for the Summer Reading Children’s Program.
Community Impact Grants are awarded once a year. Funding for grants during this cycle comes from SACF’s Community Needs Fund (which also includes the Straits Area Tobacco Settlement Fund).
Also approved on February 1 were grants recommended by the Straits Area Youth Advisory Council, which is made up of young people from across the SACF service area, and provides funding for programs and projects benefitting youth in Cheboygan County and Mackinaw City.
- Mackinaw City Public Schools – awarded $1,030 for the Mackinaw City Drama Club, the “Flexible Seating” project and to purchase microwaves for the cafeteria.
- Junior Achievement of Northern Michigan – awarded $300 for their “Programming our Community” project.
- Inland Lakes Schools – awarded $200 to support the Indian River student trip to France and Italy.
- Straits Area Audubon Society – awarded $300 for the “Snakes Alive” program.
- Wolverine Community Schools – awarded $900 for the 2017 Detroit Field Trip and the Wolverine High School Theater project.
The next opportunity for submitting grant applications is through the Straits Area Community Foundation through the Straits Area Youth Advisory Council’s second grant cycle of the year. The application deadline is March 15. Applications are available at www.sacf.net
The Straits Area Community Foundation is a charitable organization committed to providing people who care about the future of our area with unique and effective ways of supporting their community now, and for generations to come. Led by a volunteer board of local citizens, the foundation oversees a group of permanent endowment funds from a wide range of donors. Gifts of all sizes from individuals, families and corporations are invested in a balanced, well-managed portfolio to build endowments, enabling support for local community nonprofits now and forever. To make a donation or learn more about how community foundations work, visit www.sacf.net or call 989-354-6881; toll-free: 877-354-6881. SACF is an affiliate of the Community Foundation for Northeast Michigan.