Good news! Applying for grants is about to get easier.
Our staff is in the process of switching over to a new, online grant application system through Foundant Technologies. We expect this system to go “live” on May 25, 2021. Through our online system, you will be able to create your own username and password, work on your grant applications, make changes, and submit your application completely online.
All of our deadlines and guidelines remain the same, but the application process is getting a long-overdue boost.
*Please note: Previous, older versions of grant applications will no longer be accepted.
In the meantime, please feel free to review our grant guidelines below, and check back here on May 25, 2021 to apply for a Straits Area Community Foundation (SACF) Youth Advisory (YAC) Grant.
Straits Area Youth Advisory Council (YAC) Grants
SACF Youth Advisory Council (SAYAC) is a group of students from Cheboygan County and Mackinaw City. Working with an adult advisor, the members learn about philanthropy and how to improve their communities through the grant-making process. Using funds from the W.K. Kellogg Foundation, the students award grants to local non-profit organizations that are supporting projects and programs that benefit youth under the age of 18 in the Straits Area.
About your organization
- Your organization must provide benefits to those within the geographic area of Cheboygan County and Mackinaw City.
- Your organization must be recognized as a non-profit charitable organization under section 501(c)(3) of the Internal Revenue Service code. (Schools and government agencies are also eligible. Grants to religious organizations will be considered only if they serve the general public and do not have religious overtones of a sectarian nature.)
- No grants are made to individuals.
- A representative from your organization will be required to make a brief presentation to the YAC members. (Meetings for these presentations are usually held on a Sunday at 1p.m.) You will be notified of the date and location of the meeting after your proposal has been submitted.
About your project
- Grants are made for future projects only. No funding will be given for projects completed before final board approval. Board approval is usually within six (6) weeks of the grant deadline. Grants are not made for routine operating needs or budget deficits.
- Proposals seeking "seed money" for projects that are new, dynamic, and that show funding support from additional organizations are given stronger consideration.
- The Community Foundation discourages repeated applications for sustained funding of programs.
About funds available
- Applicants may submit requests up to a maximum of $1,000 per application cycle unless otherwise indicated.
- For accounting purposes, all allocated funds are disbursed upon receipt of documentation of the expenditures.
- YAC grant applications are reviewed two times a year.
- Applications must be submitted by the deadline date.
- Grants are normally paid within one year of approval. If necessary, a written request may be submitted for a six (6) month extension.
About allocation decisions
- All allocation recommendations are made by a consensus of the YAC members attending the review meeting. No staff member votes on decisions regarding fund allocations.
- All recommendations for allocations must be approved by vote of the Board of Trustees at their quarterly meeting following the application deadline.
- Highest priority will be given to projects or programs addressing the following youth needs as determined by the tri-annual needs assessment survey:
- Drug use/abuse
- Alcohol use/abuse
Complete 2018 Youth Needs Assessment Results
You may use our budget sample to assist you in completing the budget section of your application. (Budget Sample PDF) 60kb