MARCH 15 & DECEMBER 15
Straits Area Youth Advisory Council
SACF Youth Advisory Council (SAYAC) is a group of students from Cheboygan County and Mackinaw City. Working with an adult advisor, the members learn about philanthropy and how to improve their communities through the grant-making process. Using funds from the W.K. Kellogg Foundation, the students award grants to local non-profit organizations that are supporting projects and programs that benefit youth under the age of 18 in the Straits Area.
About your organization
- Your organization must provide benefits to those within the geographic area of Cheboygan County and Mackinaw City.
- Your organization must be recognized as a non-profit charitable organization under section 501(c)(3) of the Internal Revenue Service code. (Schools and government agencies are also eligible. Grants to religious organizations will be considered only if they serve the general public and do not have religious overtones of a sectarian nature.)
- No grants are made to individuals.
- A representative from your organization will be required to make a brief presentation to the YAC members. (Meetings for these presentations are usually held on a Sunday at 1p.m.) You will be notified of the date and location of the meeting after your proposal has been submitted.
About your project
- Grants are made for future projects only. No funding will be given for projects completed before final board approval. Board approval is usually within six (6) weeks of the grant deadline. Grants are not made for routine operating needs or budget deficits.
- Proposals seeking "seed money" for projects that are new, dynamic, and that show funding support from additional organizations are given stronger consideration.
- The Community Foundation discourages repeated applications for sustained funding of programs.
About Funds available
- Applicants may submit requests up to a maximum of $1,000 per application cycle unless otherwise indicated.
- If your organization is awarded a grant, a check for the full amount of the grant will be sent within two weeks of the date of grant approval, provided your organization's executive director has signed and submitted the grant agreement (emailed at the time of grant award notification). Final grant reporting is required.*Please note, this applies only to grants awarded December 13, 2022 or later. For grants prior to this date, visit our How to Get Your Grant Paid section.
- YAC grant applications are reviewed two times each year.
- Applications must be submitted by January 15 or October 15.
- Grants are normally paid within one year of approval. If necessary, a written request may be submitted for a six (6) month extension.
- All allocation recommendations are made by a consensus of the YAC members attending the review meeting. No staff member votes on decisions regarding fund allocations.
- All recommendations for allocations must be approved by vote of the Board of Trustees at their quarterly meeting following the application deadline.
- Highest priority will be given to projects or programs addressing the following youth needs as determined by the tri-annual needs assessment survey:
- Depression and Mental Health
- Smoking/Vaping/Tobacco use
- Low Self Esteem
- You may use our budget example to assist you in completing the budget section of your application. (Budget Sample PDF) 60kb
- Download blank Excel budget