SACF Community Impact Grant
Community Impact Grant Application
Straits Area Community Foundation (SACF) welcomes your grant application. Look over the information in the Application Guidelines below to find answers to questions about eligibility, deadlines, amounts available, and other frequently asked questions about available funds.
- Complete the Pre-Application Questionnaire.
- Complete the Community Impact Grant Application. If you reproduce this form on your computer, be sure not to exceed six (6) numbered pages.
- Complete the Budget and attach a Budget Narrative to explain the project in greater detail. A sample budget is provided for your use. Be sure to list any additional funding sources for your project.
- Do not include additional materials unless specifically requested in the attachments. Report covers, folders, binders, and excess information are unnecessary and are removed before applications are sent to the Screening Committee.
- Be sure to secure the appropriate signatures from your organization (i.e., executive director or person in charge of the organization) before your proposal is submitted.
- If you will not be using a computer or typewriter, please be sure your grant application is legible and written in ink.
If you have questions about the grant application process, please contact a program staff member at 877-354-6881. We would be happy to help!
The SACF Community Impact Grant application deadline is December 15. Applications must be sent to P.O. Box 495, Alpena, MI 49707, and be postmarked by the deadline date.
About your organization
- Your organization must provide benefits to those within the geographic area of Cheboygan County and Mackinaw City.
- Your organization must be recognized as a non-profit charitable organization under section 501 (c)(3) of the Internal Revenue Service code. (Schools and government agencies are also eligible. Grants to religious organizations will be considered only if they serve the general public and do not have religious overtones of a sectarian nature.)
- No grants are made to individuals.
About your project
- Grants are made for future projects only. No funding will be given for projects completed before final board approval. Board approval is usually within six (6) weeks of the grant deadline. Grants are not made for routine operating needs or budget deficits.
- Proposals seeking "seed money" for projects that are new, dynamic, and that show funding support from additional organizations are given stronger consideration.
- The Community Foundation discourages repeated applications for sustained funding of programs.
About funds available
- Applicants may submit requests up to a maximum of $1,000 per application cycle unless otherwise indicated.
- For accounting purposes, all allocated funds are disbursed upon receipt of documentation of the expenditures.
- A portion of funds awarded during the Common grant cycle is set aside specifically for programs addressing health for youth under the age of 18 and senior citizens.
- Community Impact Grant applications are reviewed once a year.
- Applications must be completed and submitted (or postmarked) by December 15.
- Grants are normally paid within one year of approval. If necessary, a written request may be submitted for a six (6) month extension.
About allocation decisions
Applications for any type of program or project (not including religious programs) through an eligible nonprofit will be considered for funding. Preference may be given to programs that fall within the following areas:
- Basic human needs
- Drug use prevention
- Programs promoting community service, volunteerism or community education
- Access to health care
- Community advancement opportunities
*Your application will be considered for funding regardless of whether or not it fits into the above categories.
- A Grant Screening Committee comprised of members from the SACF service area makes all allocation recommendations. No staff member votes on decisions regarding fund allocations.
- All recommendations for allocations must be approved by vote of the Board of Trustees at their quarterly meeting following the application deadline.
You may use our budget sample to assist you in completing the budget section of your application. (Budget Sample PDF) 59kb
If you are unable to access pdf files, you may contact our office and we will send you a complete application packet.