ALPENA— Arts, education, human services and literacy programs are just some of the areas touched by the most recent round of grants from the Northeast Michigan Youth Advisory Council (NEMYAC). The Community Foundation for Northeast Michigan (CFNEM) Board of Trustees recently approved $27,419 in a new round of youth-related NEMYAC grants covering a four-county area that includes Alcona, Alpena, Montmorency and Presque Isle Counties.
New NEMYAC Grants are:
- Great Lakes Stewardship Initiative – awarded $2,500 for the “Youth Empowered to Change the World” project;
- Rogers City Area Schools – awarded $1,500 for renovations to the RCHS Industrial Technology Program;
- Friends of the Ocqueoc Outdoor Center – awarded $1,500 to replace youth camp stoves;
- Alpena Public Schools – awarded $1,150 for the AHS Theatre Troupe 2019 Godspell Musical;
- Alcona Community Schools – awarded $200 for the AHS Science Department “Genius Hour” in STEM project;
- Atlanta Community Schools – awarded $600 for a "Yoga Mindfulness" project;
- Alpena Civic Theater – awarded $1,050 for the Children’s Christmas Program;
- Alpena Huron Shores Babe Ruth – awarded $1,650 for fencing corrections;
- Iosco County Coats for Kids – awarded $900 to purchase winter coats for Alcona County children;
- Friends of the Alpena Farmers Market – awarded $1,250 for electrical work;
- Friends of the Aplex Courts – awarded $500 for “Building Youth Tennis in Alpena”;
- Huron Humane Society – awarded $836 for the “Feline Lifeline – Incubating Hope @HHS” project;
- Alpena Public Schools – awarded $782 for the Alpena Figure Skating Club;
- Alpena Public Schools – awarded $1,000 for the AHS Clothing Closet;
- Alpena Public Schools – awarded $250 for the Thunder Bay Junior High track renovation project;
- Alpena Public Schools – awarded $1,010 for the APS Band Instrument Storage upgrade project;
- Alpena Swim Club – awarded $750 for the International Pamina Junior Swim Meet;
- Alcona Community Schools – awarded $1,000 for the Alcona Took Cats Robotics Drive Computer;
- Alcona Community Schools – awarded $200 for the “Take your Dreams off the Shelf” project;
- Alcona Community Schools – awarded $370 to purchase weight room equipment;
- Mikado Township – awarded $800 for the “No Child Without a Christmas” project;
- Village of Lincoln – awarded $400 for the 2020 Alcona County Easter Egg Hunt;
- First Congregational Church of Christ/Boy Scouts Troop 78 – awarded $980 to purchase camping supplies;
- Nature’s Kingdom Wildlife Rehabilitation – awarded $300 to purchase wildlife pens;
- Northeast Michigan Center for Fine Arts (Art in the Loft) – awarded $1,280 for the ArtPOP! Program;
- Presque Isle District Library – awarded $500 for a Holiday Family Movie Program;
- Rogers City Area Schools – awarded $2,500 from the McLean Fund for a weight room project;
- St. John Lutheran Church and School – awarded $161 for the “Washington D.C. Encounter” project; and
- St. Ignatius Catholic School – awarded $1,500 for the “Using Accelerated Readers to Keep Kids Reading” Program.
The next opportunity for grants is through the CFNEM Community Impact Grant and the NEMYAC Grant. Applications for both grant opportunities are due on January 15, 2020, and can be found at cfnem.org.
The Northeast Michigan Youth Advisory Council (NEMYAC) is made up of youth from across the CFNEM service area. These young people learn the importance of philanthropy and community service through the grantmaking process, gaining important leadership skills along the way. NEMYAC Grants are made possible through the Kellogg Youth Fund at the Community Foundation for Northeast Michigan, and the McLean Fund for Rogers City.