September 20, 2018
ALPENA—The Community Foundation for Northeast Michigan (CFNEM) recently awarded a new round of Community Impact grants and Northeast Michigan Women’s Giving Circle (WGC) grants covering a four-county area that includes Alcona, Alpena, Montmorency and Presque Isle Counties. The Board of Trustees recently approved 39 new grants totaling $103,238.
$78,143 awarded in new Community Impact Grants are:
- Mikado Township – awarded $2,400 for the Safety Equipment project.
- Alcona Humane Society – awarded $1,500 for the Pet Spay/Neuter Initiative.
- Alcona Community Schools – awarded $5,000 for the Auditorium Equipment Update project.
- Iosco RESA – awarded $1,000 for the “Your Child Reads” of Alcona project.
- Atlanta Full Gospel Assembly of God – awarded $500 for the Feeding the Needy project.
- Hillman Area Senior Citizens, Inc. – awarded $2,000 toward the Update Fire Suppression System project.
- Hillman Community Schools – awarded $1,000 for the Hillman Elementary Beginning Band Instrument Purchase project.
- Atlanta Church of Christ – awarded $628 for The Caring Place project.
- Rogers City Area Senior and Community Center – awarded $250 toward the First Aid Kits and Blood Pressure Cuffs project.
- Grand Lake Community Chapel – awarded $1,000 toward the God Loves You Food Pantry project.
- Onaway Area Community Schools awarded $4,962 for the Early Learning Program.
- McLaren Northern Michigan Foundation – awarded $5,000 for the Patient Assistance Program.
- Grand Lake Sportsmen’s Club – awarded $5,000 for the Fletcher-Gilchrist Park Boat Launch Improvements.
- Alpena First United Methodist Church – awarded $1,000 for the Hearts to Home project.
- Alpena Community College/Volunteer Center – awarded $1,000 for the Website project.
- Friends Together – awarded $1,000 for the Family Day with Friends project.
- Thunder Bay Theatre – awarded $2,800 for the Social Injustice project.
- District Health Dept. #4 – awarded $3,000 for the Girls on the Run Sunrise Side Program.
- Alpena Gymnastics – awarded $3,500 for the Foam Pit Landing Mats project.
- Multipurpose Arena Coalition dba Northern Lights Arena – awarded $3,000 for the Learn to Skate with Instructors project.
- Thunder Bay Folk Society – awarded $4,000 for the 5th Annual Thunder Bay Folk Festival.
- Alpena Area Senior Citizens Council, Inc. – awarded $1,500 for the Compassionate Friends project.
- Immanuel Lutheran Church – awarded $3,036 for the Besser Male Chorus on the Road project.
- Northeast Michigan Community Partnership, Inc. – awarded $2,500 for the Applied Suicide Intervention Skills Training Program.
- Alpena Public Schools – awarded $2,000 for the “United through A Read-Aloud” project.
- Alpena Street Performers, Inc. – awarded $5,000 for the Downtown Street Performers Series.
- Boys and Girls Club of Alpena – awarded $4,067 for the SMART Moves Program.
- Huron Humane Society – awarded $5,000 toward the Medical Treatment Room.
- NE MI Rehabilitation Opportunity Center (NEMROC) – awarded $1,500 toward the NEMROC Cigarette Litter Brigade.
- Shelter Inc./ Hope Shores Alliance – awarded $4,000 for the Safehouse Exterior Improvement Plan.
Community Impact grants are awarded at CFNEM through two different grant cycles throughout the year. For granting purposes, the Community Endowment Fund consists of the General Endowment Fund, Genite Family Fund, Chuck and Kathy Ingle Fund, Lappan Fund, Neva Nelson Memorial Fund, Panel Processing Fund, Pfeiffenberger Fund, Reitz Family Fund, Stevens Fund, Weinkauf Fund, and the Wilson Family Fund. Additional funds supporting grants for this cycle include the Ann M. Kuntz Fund, Mr. and Mrs. O.B. Eustis Memorial Fund, Montmorency County General Fund, Wayne Wire Cloth Fund, Alcona General Fund, Presque Isle General Fund, Huron Shores Health Fund and the Spendable Tobacco Fund.
The Community Foundation also approved $25,095 through the 11th annual round of Northeast Michigan Women’s Giving Circle Grants. These grants are reviewed and recommended annually by a committee of ten WGC members who serve two-year terms. WGC grants are awarded for issues important to the women of northeast Michigan.
2018 WGC Grants are:
- Alcona Citizens for Health, Inc./Children’s Advocacy Center of NE MI – awarded $500 for the Comfort for Children project.
- Cheboygan, Otsego, Presque Isle ESD – awarded $500 for Project Connect Presque Isle County.
- Northeast Michigan Community Partnership – awarded $325 for the Alpena County HSCC Basic Needs Pantry.
- Faith Outreach – awarded $1,000 for the Jail/Prison Aftercare Packets to be used for women.
- Atlanta Congregational Church/Baby Basket – awarded $1,000 for the Baby Basket Personal Care project.
- Alpena Gymnastics – awarded $1,000 toward Foam Pit Landing Mats.
- Alpena Public Schools/Wilson Community School – awarded $1,770 for the Wilson Robotics: The Power of STEM for Girls program.
- District Health Dept. #4 – awarded $2,000 for the Girls on the Run Sunrise Side Program.
- Huron Pines RC&D – awarded $1,500 toward supplies for the Huron Pines STEM Curriculum for Alcona Schools.
- McLaren Northern MI Foundation – awarded $500 for Patient Assistance for Female Patients.
- NE MI Community Partnership, Inc. – awarded $2,000 for the Circle of Parents for Family Recovery Center.
- Shelter, Inc./Hope Shores Alliance – awarded $1,500 for Volunteer Appreciation and Training.
- Target Alpena Economic Development Corporation – awarded $500 for the Leadercast Women program.
- Thunder Bay Martial Arts – awarded $1,000 for the Women’s Self Defense Training project.
- Alpena Area Senior Citizens Council – awarded $2,000 for the Hopeful Journey Series for Relatives Raising Children project.
- Atlanta Church of Christ – awarded $2,000 for the Caring Place Program.
- Art in the Loft (NE MI Center for Fine Arts) – awarded $2,000 for the REACH program.
- Boys and Girls Club of Alpena – awarded $2,000 for the SMART Girls program.
- American Assoc. of University Women (AAUM) Gaylord Area – awarded $2,000 to support girls in the CFNEM service area who participate in the Tech Savvy 2019 program.
The next opportunity for submitting grant applications is through the Northeast Michigan Youth Advisory Council for youth programs in Alcona, Alpena, Montmorency and/or Presque Isle County. Applications are available at cfnem.org and are due by October 15, 2018.
The Community Foundation for Northeast Michigan is a charitable organization committed to providing people who care about the future of our area with unique and effective ways of supporting their community now, and for generations to come. Led by a volunteer board of local citizens, the foundation oversees a group of permanently endowed funds from a wide range of donors. Gifts of all sizes from individuals, families, businesses and agencies are invested in a balanced, well-managed portfolio to build endowments, enabling support for students and local community nonprofits now and forever.