The Community Foundation for Northeast Michigan (CFNEM) has awarded $30,500 in a second round of grants through its role as the Census 2020 Nonprofit Hub for this region. These grants are meant to help increase the chances of a fair and accurate count of northeast Michigan residents by raising awareness of the campaign’s importance and ensuring that traditionally undercounted populations are counted in this year’s U.S. Census.
“It is encouraging to see so many groups from around our service area taking an active role in ensuring a complete count in northeast Michigan,” said CFNEM Executive Director Patrick Heraghty. “With a possible loss of over $48 million in annual federal funding, the efforts of our nonprofits will play a crucial role in increasing awareness and participation in the 2020 Census.”
This second round of Census 2020 grants to northeast Michigan nonprofits include:
- $7,500 to NEMCSA – Census 2020 Outreach Activities
- $5,000 to Crawford Ogemaw Oscoda Roscommon ISD – “Ready to Be Counted” at Great Start Pre- School Events
- $2,500 to Alcona County Commission on Aging – Census Outreach and Awareness Initiative
- $2,500 to Big Creek Township – Oscoda County Census Outreach
- $2,500 to Cheboygan Public Library – Census Information Center
- $2,500 to Cheboygan County United Way – Census Outreach Activities
- $2,500 to Michigan Works! Northeast Consortium – “Michigan Works! to Make Michigan Count”
- $2,500 to Rogers City Area Seniors, Inc. – “Help Seniors Count”
- $1,750 to Bay View Center – “You Count” Outreach
- $500 to Grace Evangelical Lutheran Church East Tawas – Census Outreach Activities
- $500 to FISH, Inc. Tawas – Project Census
- $250 to Friends of Thunder Bay National Marine Sanctuary – Census promotion
During the first round of Census-related grants, $19,500 was granted to local nonprofits. CFNEM was granted $50,000 through an initiative from the Michigan Nonprofit Association and Council of Michigan Foundations to provide these mini-grants to northeast Michigan nonprofits for Census outreach programs.
The Community Foundation for Northeast Michigan is a nonprofit charitable organization committed to providing people who care about the future of our area with unique and effective ways of supporting their community now, and for generations to come.