CFNEM Community Impact Grants
The Community Foundation for Northeast Michigan (CFNEM) welcomes your grant application.
Look over the information in the Application Guidelines below to find answers to questions about eligibility, deadlines, amounts available and other frequently asked questions about available funds.
- Complete the Pre-Application Questionnaire.
- Complete the Community Impact Grant Application. If you reproduce this form on your computer, be sure not to exceed six (6) numbered pages. Use the two-page mini-grant application for grants of $1,000 or less.
- Complete the Budget and attach a Budget Narrative to explain the project in greater detail. A sample budget is provided for your use. Be sure to list any additional funding sources for your project.
- Do not include additional materials unless specifically requested in the attachments. Report covers, folders, binders, and excess information are unnecessary and are removed before applications are sent to the Screening Committee.
- Be sure to secure the appropriate signatures from your organization (i.e., executive director or person in charge of the organization) before your proposal is submitted.
- If you will not be using a computer or typewriter, please be sure your grant application is legible and written in ink.
If you have any questions about the grant application process, please feel free to contact a Foundation program staff member at 989-354-6881 (toll free 877-354-6881). We would be happy to help you!
The CFNEM Community Impact Grant Application deadlines are January 15, July 15 and October 15. Applications may be submitted directly to the CFNEM office at 100 N. Ripley, Suite F, in Alpena, via email to firstname.lastname@example.org, or by mailing to: CFNEM, P.O. Box 495, Alpena, MI 49707. All applications must be received by the deadline date (or postmarked by the deadline date if mailing.)
About your organization
- Your organization must provide benefits to those within the geographic area of Alcona, Alpena, Montmorency, or Presque Isle County.
- Your organization must be recognized as a non-profit charitable organization under section 501 (c)(3) of the Internal Revenue Service code. (Schools and government agencies are also eligible. Grants to religious organizations will be considered only if they serve the general public and do not have religious overtones of a sectarian nature.)
- No grants are made to individuals.
About your project
- Grants are made for future projects only. No funding will be given for projects completed before final board approval. Board approval is usually within six (6) weeks of the grant deadline. Grants are not made for routine operating needs or budget deficits.
- Proposals seeking "seed money" for projects that are new, dynamic and that show funding support from additional organizations are given stronger consideration.
- The Community Foundation discourages repeated applications for sustained funding of programs.
About funds available
- Applicants may submit requests up to a maximum of $5,000 per application cycle unless otherwise indicated.
- Mini-grants up to $1,000 are available. (click here for mini-grant application)
- For accounting purposes, all allocated funds are disbursed upon receipt of documentation of the expenditures.
- Community Impact Grant applications are reviewed three times each year.
- Completed applications must be submitted to the CFNEM office by January 15, July 15 and October 15.
- Grants are normally paid within one year of approval. If necessary, a written request may be submitted for a six (6) month extension.
About allocation decisions
- A Grant Screening Committee comprised of CFNEM board members makes all allocation recommendations. No staff members vote on decisions regarding fund allocations.
- All recommendations for allocations must be approved by vote of the Board of Trustees at their monthly meeting following the application deadline.
- You may use our budget sample to assist you in completing the budget section of your application.
- If you are unable to access pdf files, you may contact our office and we will send you a complete application packet.