CFNEM Youth Advisory Council
The Northeast Michigan Youth Advisory Council (NEMYAC) is a group of about 50 students, and seven YAC advisors, from the counties of Alcona, Alpena, Montmorency, and Presque Isle. NEMYAC members learn about philanthropy and how to improve their communities through the grant-making process. Permanently endowed funds from the W.K. Kellogg Foundation allow the students to award approximately $50,000 each year to local non-profit organizations for youth-related programs and projects.
NEMYAC Welcomes Your Grant Application
Look over the information in the Application Guidelines below to find answers to questions about eligibility, deadlines, amounts available and other frequently asked questions about available funds.
- Complete the Pre-Application Questionnaire.
- Complete the NEMYAC Grant Application. If you reproduce this form on your computer, be sure not to exceed six (6) numbered pages. Use the two-page mini-grant application for grants of $500 or less.
- Complete the Budget and attach a Budget Narrative to explain the project in greater detail. A sample budget is provided for your use. Be sure to list any additional funding sources for your project.
- Do not include additional materials unless specifically requested in the attachments. Report covers, folders, binders, and excess information are unnecessary and are removed before applications are sent to the NEMYAC students for their review.
- Be sure to secure the appropriate signatures from your organization (i.e., executive director, superintendent, principal, or person in charge of the organization) before your proposal is submitted.
- If you will not be using a computer or typewriter, please be sure your grant application is legible and written in ink.
- Prepare to have a member of your organization make a brief presentation (about three minutes) about your project to the NEMYAC members during the grant review meeting. You will be notified of the date, time, and location of the meeting following submission of your proposal. (Mini-grants do not require a presentation.)
The NEMYAC grant deadlines are January 15 and October 15. You may bring your application directly to the CFNEM office at 100 N. Ripley, Suite F in Alpena. Applications may also be mailed to: CFNEM, P.O. Box 495, Alpena, MI 49707, if postmarked by the deadline. If you need additional help, please call a program staff member at 989-354-6881 or (toll free) 877-354-6881. We are happy to help!
About your organization
- Your organization must provide benefits to youth within the counties of Alcona, Alpena, Montmorency or Presque Isle.
- Your organization must be recognized as a non-profit charitable organization under section 501 (c)(3) of the Internal Revenue Service code. (Schools and government agencies are also eligible. Grants to religious organizations will be considered only if they serve the general public and do not have religious overtones of a sectarian nature.)
- All applications for public and parochial school youth-related projects must be submitted to the Youth Advisory Council.
- No grants are made to individuals.
- A representative from your organization will be required to make a brief presentation to the YAC members. You will be notified of the date and location after your proposal has been submitted.
About your project
- Grants are made for future projects only. No funding will be given for projects completed before final board approval. Board approval is usually within six (6) weeks of the grant deadline.
- Grants are not made for routine operating needs or budget deficits.
- Proposals seeking "seed money" for projects that are new, dynamic, and that show funding support from additional organizations are given stronger consideration.
- NEMYAC discourages repeated applications for sustained funding of programs.
- Applicants may submit requests up to a maximum of $2,500 per application cycle.
- Mini-grants up to $500 are available. (mini-grant application)
- For accounting purposes, all allocated funds are disbursed upon receipt of documentation of the expenditures.
- YAC grant applications are reviewed two times each year.
- Applications must be completed and submitted (or postmarked) by January 15 or October 15.
- Grants are normally paid within one year of approval. If necessary, a written request may be submitted for a six (6) month extension.
- All allocation recommendations are made by a consensus of the YAC members attending the review meeting. No staff members vote on decisions regarding fund allocations.
- All recommendations for allocations must be approved by vote of the Board of Trustees at their quarterly meeting following the application deadline.
- Half of the available funding will be allocated to programs or projects that address area youth needs as determined by the needs assessment survey. An assessment is completed every three years.
- You may use our budget example to assist you in completing the budget section of your application.
- If you are unable to access pdf files, please contact our office and we will send you a complete application packet.
What is a YAC?