Pre-Application Questionnaire Tobacco Grant Application
The Community Foundation for Northeast Michigan (CFNEM) welcomes your grant application.
Look over the information in the Application Guidelines below to find answers to questions about eligibility, deadlines, amounts available, and other frequently asked questions about available funds.
- Complete the Pre-Application Questionnaire.
- Complete the Tobacco Settlement Grant Application. If you reproduce this form on your computer, kindly use a similar format for the information and limit your application to 6 (six) numbered pages.
- Do not include additional materials unless specifically requested. Report covers, folders, binders, and excess information are unnecessary and are removed before applications are sent to the Screening Committee.
- Be sure to secure the appropriate signatures from your organization (i.e., executive director or person in charge of the organization) before your proposal is submitted. If you submit your application online, please mail the signature page to our office.
- If you will not be using a computer or typewriter, please be sure your grant application is legible and written in ink.
If you have any questions about the grant application process, please feel free to contact a Foundation program staff member at 989-354-6881 (toll free 877-354-6881). We will be happy to help you!
The CFNEM Tobacco Grant Application deadline is February 1st each year. You may bring your application directly to the CFNEM office at 100 N. Ripley, Suite F in Alpena. Applications may also be mailed to: CFNEM, P.O. Box 495, Alpena, MI 49707, if postmarked by the deadline. (If the first day of the month falls on a weekend, applications will be accepted at the CFNEM office on the first regular business day of February.)
About your organization
- Your organization must provide benefits to those within the geographic area of Alcona, Alpena, Montmorency, or Presque Isle County.
- Your organization must be recognized as a non-profit charitable organization under section 501 (c)(3) of the Internal Revenue Service code. (Schools and government agencies are also eligible. Grants to religious organizations will be considered only if they serve the general public and do not have religious overtones of a sectarian nature.)
- No grants are made to individuals.
About your project
- Projects or programs must addess tobacco-related issues and benefit the residents of the northeast Michigan counties of Alcona, Alpena, Montmorency, or Presque Isle.
- Grants are made for future projects only. No funding will be given for projects completed before final board approval. Board approval is usually within six (6) weeks of the grant deadline. Grants are not made for routine operating needs or budget deficits.
- The Community Foundation discourages repeated applications for sustained funding of programs.
About funds available
- Applicants may submit requests up to a maximum of $2,500
- For accounting purposes, all allocated funds are disbursed upon receipt of documentation of the expenditures.
- Tobacco grant applications are reviewed once each year.
- Completed applications must be submitted to the CFNEM office by February 1st. Applications may also be mailed to CFNEM, P.O. Box 495, Alpena, MI 49707, if postmarked by the deadline. (If the first day of the month falls on a weekend, applications will be accepted at the CFNEM office on the first regular business day of February.)
- Grants are normally paid within one year of approval. If necessary, a written request may be submitted for a six (6) month extension.
About allocation decisions
- A Grant Screening Committee comprised of CFNEM board members makes all allocation recommendations. No staff members vote on decisions regarding fund allocations.
- All recommendations for allocations must be approved by vote of the Board of Trustees at their monthly meeting following the application deadline.
If you are unable to access pdf files, you may contact our office and we will send you a complete application packet.